Tiptoe Through the Grass

"The best view comes after the hardest climb."

 At that point in the seasons where I'm not sure if its Spring or Summer. Or if I should just go off of the technical beginning and ends. I don't know, but I do know it was HOT the other day. So hot I actually had to go into the A.C to cool off. Which, now that I'm thinking about it doesn't take much for me. My ideal temp is a breezy 70, blame Alaska summers for that.

Outside. All day, everyday.

We got to be outside about 75% of our week. We were able to have Tyler home with us on Wednesday and a good portion of Friday. So we got to go into town for a picnic and some exploring. She got to play on the swings and gather her pine cones (per usual). She also helped her Dada wash the car. Although I'm not sure how much help she was playing in the bubbles.

When we weren't outside Aurora was fighting with her molar pain and testing the boundaries of our patience.

Does anyone else occasionally question their parenting abilities? This week was a struggle. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this whole mom thing "correctly". I'm aware there is no cookie cutter way of raising a child and I'm actually glad there isn't. That being said, it is the most stressful job I have ever had. Constantly questioning what I'm doing, if I'm a good enough mother for Aurora, and if I have the strength to deal with these tantrums. In search of recommendations of books, booze, and baking recipes.

Grizzly, the professional model.

Putting aside all of that, our week was pretty good. Aurora has discovered new talents. She is a master stacker. Destroying my towers used to be her favorite thing but now it seems she wants to be the one doing the building. The concentration on her face is the cutest darn thing I've ever seen.

It doesn't stop there though because who does cool things in ones. She makes car noises now! She pushes her cars around and makes noises! YOU GUYS. I could not stop giggling at her and she was so pleased with herself. I, of course, couldn't get it on video.

She's also started a little quirk of tiptoeing her way around the backyard. Strolling around like a big girl, picking up rocks and toys. Stuff like that makes up for all of the crazy.

 I wonder if he has a name.

We're also convinced now we have a proper outdoorsy baby. She loves hiking, she just puts her hands out and touches the trees and the leaves. She makes noises like she's the one carrying a 18 lb pretoddler on their back. So dramatic, it's hysterical.

Our hike this week was about four hours, so it cut into her nap time...mistakes were made my friends. She screamed for what felt like an hour at the top of Black Elk Peak. On the way down she took about a thirty minute cat nap and was good to go!  Giggly and smacking me in the face. So sweet.

"Let me sing you the song of my people"

The hike was a tough one but totally worth the view! We also felt like the terrain changed a lot like we were doing multiple different hikes mashed together. Also once you get to the top there are stairs to finish it up. I think that was probably the worst part for me. I would definitely do it again but we'd probably start it much earlier to avoid that level of tantrum.  

Tyler had duty this weekend. Which honestly wasn't that bad of a trade because it was so windy Saturday we probably wouldn't have done anything. Instead we had him on Friday and enjoyed the most beautiful day in the Black Hills. Today Aurora and I went and had a picnic with friends and she collected pine cones...again. While I chased after her. We came home right at nap time for her and refuel time for mama.

Honestly I don't think all of the coffee in the world will help at this point.

So tired.

At the top of Black Elk Peak




Popular Posts