Thunder, Lightning, and Baking.


"Let us come alive to the splendor around us,
and see the beauty in ordinary things." -Thomas Merton


Does anyone else get super happy about simple things?

I get super excited when the weather is just right and I don’t just mean one particular temperature. I mean like how on Monday it was nice enough in the morning for a hike and ice cream. Then when we got home it started to gloom up and I was able to keep the windows open while it peacefully rained. 

It was the kind of rain that comes with a fresh breeze that just smells like a movie night. (that totally makes sense, right?) I cooked dinner and washed the dishes with the kitchen window open and I probably could have washed the dishes for hours I was so happy.

Her "Oh Oh" (uh oh) face.

Tuesday we got a warm beautiful day with a light drizzle and we were able to go get some house plants (not that I need more) and hang outside for the rest of the day. Wednesday was toasty so we invited over friends and tossed on our swim suits. We quickly realized the hose water was FREEZING! It was still nice to be outside in the sun. Everyday was just perfect for what we wanted to do. 

Thursday we did a lot of flower picking and exploring the the front yard before the rain started. Friday we didn't get much outside time because it was yuck and the thunderstorms started earlier than they did on Thursday. We LOVE thunderstorms so of course no complaints from us.

Saturday was so chilly though! We’ve been wanting to go to Reptile Gardens but it seems like whenever we try everyone else within Rapid City was thinking the same thing! So we figured since Saturday was so cruddy everyone else would maybe be passing it up to do something warmer.
We were right! However, just because we were right doesn’t necessarily mean it was the best idea.

Defrosting in the rain forest.

Luckily they have a Sky Dome Which is almost like a Botanical Gardens. It was essentially a rain forest in a building. So toasty! They had cute little lizards and these little fat baby birds running around on the ground. Up in the trees were all sorts of birds. One of them specifically would whistle back at you and Aurora just thought that was the coolest. 

We also got to see these massive tortoises! Rory got so excited she started to throw her hands around and damn near took my eye out! So put that on the list of things she’s in love with.

Loving all of the plants.

Our week was filled with a lot of good food, all our typical go to meals and treats. Part of my Self Care routine is trying new recipes and making sure I’m getting some baking done every so often. When we get rainy weather like we did this past week I just get the bug to bake and cook like a mad woman!

Tyler always says that I’m the reason he can’t lose weight because I’m always making us treats. Which, is probably true… but there are worse things in life than having sweet treats!  It evens out with the number of veggies we eat. (just a little lie I tell myself)

I've also been trying to let Aurora help with the baking. She seems to really enjoy it! Mostly just the fact that she can mash it in her hands. She especially likes grabbing the egg yolk and squishing it. I mean, it grosses me out...but whatever floats your boat. 

We attempted blueberry muffins. But it turned into a science project when the cups overfilled. We're trying for a redemption run tonight. Fingers Crossed!

Popular Posts